How long has it been since you heard that word, "Penpal"? I just realized something.…
When I asked for an ice cream maker for Christmas to make healthier ice cream at home, I didn’t really have in mind a healthy spinach ice cream recipe. I mean, would you??!! All I was trying to do was avoid the corn syrup that is in almost every ice cream at the store, and save some money too.
Then I started making one of our favorite smoothie recipes, and realized that with just a little tweaking I could turn it into one of the healthiest and delicious ice cream recipes ever!
(*This post may contain affiliate links. By purchasing anything from these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. More information is available on my Disclosure page.)
This post is part of a Seasonal Summer Hop hosted by Cloches and Lavender (with a summery lemon wreath) and Decorate and More with Tip where several bloggers get together to share some summer ideas. You can find the rest of the ideas at the end of this post!
So let me warn you….. this ice cream tastes nothing like healthy spinach ice cream. It tastes more like a pina colada specialty ice cream– because that’s what it is! My favorite part are the lightly toasted coconut sprinkles— I tend to go heavy on those….
When I have served it to guests before telling them what it was, they guessed cucumber instead of spinach. It doesn’t taste like cucumber though. Somebody else guessed avocado. That’s a good idea though! I may have to try one of those next!
What You Will Need to Make Healthy Spinach Ice Cream
Besides the food ingredients, you will need:
Okay, Let’s begin!
- Start by making 2 batches of my Pineapple Banana Coconut Spinach Smoothie recipe.
- Add 1 recipe of vanilla ice cream mix.
- Whisk it all together.
- Then put it in your ice cream maker. It should make about 3 batches.
- Empty the ice cream into a tub and put it in the freezer. Add another batch and mix it up, repeating until you use all of it.
- Use a mini cookie dough scoop to fill a small sundae dish. (You may need to microwave the container for 20 seconds if it is too hard to scoop.)
- For an extra delicious touch, toast some coconut in a counter toaster, in the oven, or in a frying pan on the stove, being careful not to burn it.
- You may be surprised that the spinach ice cream tastes more like… banana!
- It is fun to let your guests guess what kind of ice cream it is.
- Who knew ice cream could be so healthy?!
- Fancy “banana split” serving idea: Add a banana and some lemon or vanilla Pirouline Wafers along with the toasted coconut. Enjoy!
Delicious Spinach Ice Cream
Easily make this healthy spinach ice cream using a Nutribullet and an Ice Cream Maker!
- 2 bananas
- 2 cups crushed pineapple (from a can)
- 2 cup coconut water
- 2 (packed) cups fresh spinach
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- Juice of a lemon, or 4 tsp lemon juice (optional)
- 1 tsp ginger (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- pinch sea or kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 TBLSP vanilla
- 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut (optional)
Put first 8 ingredients in a NutriBullet or blender. (It will take 2 or 3 batches to blend it all up.)
Then mix vanilla ice cream ingredients (last 5 ingredients) all together.
Whisk vanilla ice cream mix into the first Spinach mix, blending thoroughly.
Put it in your ice cream maker a batch at a time, and freeze.
Toast the coconut on a very cool setting in your toaster oven. Then use as a topping. Can also be served with fresh bananas or pirouline wafers.
This recipe makes about 3 batches of ice cream. It will taste more like banana than it does spinach!
And here are all of the other Summer Ideas that I told you about!
Michelle has a simple easy patriotic wreath, if you are visiting us in order.